Ever since I was a child, I’ve always had a strong interest in other cultures and languages. After completing my Master’s degree in Russian and Eastern European Studies, I decided to move abroad, broaden my horizons and teach English. I started learning Russian at 25 years old and can now speak fluently! So I understand the challenges that many of you face trying to learn a language in adulthood whilst also balancing all the other responsibilities that come with adult life. Sometimes just finding the time is the hardest part!
I always try to make my students understand that learning a language should be fun! If you enjoy it, then the hardest part is over! This isn’t like learning French in school and going through grammar every Tuesday afternoon. For me, language is about understanding and embracing a new culture: the music, films and cultural viewpoints and nuances. When I could barely speak Russian, I tried to surround myself with everything Russian. For example, listening to Russian radio at home, watching films and YouTube videos and trying to read Russian news. These simple activities gave me a huge advantage in the classroom, and I found everything easier! Soon, I plan to move to Europe and start a new journey. Wherever I decide to go, I’ll invest my time and energy in the local language and culture. It’s a wonderful experience and I can’t wait.
Anyway, I’m so delighted to become part of the My IELTS Classroom team! I’m happy to answer any of your questions and I look forward to helping you achieve your dream IELTS score!
5 Things about Me!
- I studied Geography at university and have always had a keen interest in the world and travelling. I developed a specific interest in Eastern Europe and after a year found myself in Estonia studying a Master’s degree in Russian and Eastern European studies. After becoming fascinated with language learning (I started Russian at 25), I subsequently decided to do a CELTA after finishing my Master’s program. That was the start of my journey as an English teacher.
- I have lived in 7 different countries! I love learning about different cultures, languages and history. For the past 4 years I have been living and working in St. Petersburg, the most beautiful city in the world!
- Teaching English is the most satisfying job I’ve ever had. There’s nothing better than one of your students achieving their dreams and knowing that you played a role in helping them.
- But, if I wasn’t a teacher, my dream job would to be a F1 driver. It what’s I wanted to do since I was a child. I think it’s too late now, but I did go to my first race in Baku, Azerbaijan this year.
- I was once in an American TV reality show called “House Hunters International”. Maybe you can find it on YouTube!
The Official Stuff
- Master of Social Sciences in Russian, Central and East European studies (University of Glasgow / University of Tartu, Estonia).
- 5 years teaching experience (qualified with CELTA in 2014) – worked as an English teacher in three schools and multiple international companies in Russia, Latvia and Finland.
- Certified Cambridge Examiner in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Fluent speaker of Russian.